I know! I know! There is a large percentage of people who hate Mondays. Really hate them. That first workday of the week signifies the end of weekend fun and the beginning of toil. Now you see, for me, Mondays have always been about new starts, list of goals and objectives to be reached. A day of such optimism. Fridays conversely are not so much as I must come to terms with what I did not achieve.
Today ( Monday) is always ‘Oh The plots We Weave’ day when we look at a couple of actual news stories and comment of ‘what ifs’. This sort of came about when I would post on a news piece and generally rant or comment. Then I got thinking, this is where stories and books come from. News stories, observing momentary interactions and letting our imaginations fly.
So first thing right out of the front page of the HAMILTON SPECTATOR there are 2 items which caught my eye and my ‘Oh Lord where is the sanity when you need it’ button.
1) FATHER SUES PUBLIC BOARD OVER ITS GAY EQUITY STAND Oh Boy, this isn’t even some backwoods notion, it comes straight from the mind of Eustathios ‘Steve’ Tourloukis a dentist in Smithville. His claim is that as a praciticing member of his Greek Orthodox Church his rights are being violated.
Now now children, play nice. Would someone please point out to our dentist that this province provides a large number of Christian Churches with the sole purpose of raising students in the environment you desire and that his child or children are part of a PUBLIC school. You know Public as in every one of every denomination is free to attend.
‘ What if”? What kind of plot could we develop from this little bit of information? Well it could be the father has to loudly decry the learning material because he is in a personal secret struggle from these very urges…nah that is too common a thread. ‘What if’ ..ah you know what? Whichever way this plot goes it could be trouble. Can you think of anything provoking?
2) COURT ORDERS LONG-GUN DATA TO BE TRANSFERRED TO QUEBEC I have to admit that there are a couple of things about Canada that make me squirm a bit perhaps even to the point of embarrassment and the Gun Registry is one of them. Several years ago a registry was put in for guns. It was badly managed, very expensive and about as effective as flying into the sun. So now in a fit of rare insight it was decided to take down, nullify, disband, destroy, the long-gun registry. In doing so the government continuing of its life long mission to give meaning to ‘stupid’, ‘most stupid’, decided to also destroy all the information they had gathered on the registry quest. One province spoke up – Quebec – who is trying to keep its portion of the registry alive. The Quebec court said the government has no right to destroy registry data….
‘What if”? We created a super hero to fight stupidity – faster than a speeding bullet? Where to start? Where to start? Well first there will be the need to gather up all politicians and give each one’s head a good shake so they in fact will have their heads on straight. Could you imagine a world where everyone was sane in political arenas?
What if then our dentist had the same thing happen? Hello! A moment of clarity! I think I will send my child to a school that does meet my requirements for education.
**Please note there are far and wide implications in each of these cases. There is also more detailed info that one needs to consider before being pro or con. The only consideration I have presented in the subject matter as a possible story line or plot. Besides the fiction will certainly be more interest than the reality of it all. I think.
- Christian father sues Ontario school board for ‘religious accommodation’ (toronto.ctvnews.ca)
- Science confirms: The only workday we like is Friday (deathandtaxesmag.com)
- Feds get deadline to hand over Quebec gun registry data (ctvnews.ca)