Some folk now and then will pull up roots and head off to some foreign land. I did it in the mid nineties without realizing it was truly a foreign land when I headed off to Texas. I know, I know. How different can Texas be for a Canadian girl? I figured since it was the same land mass and we all spoke English it could not be too different. But it was.
Locals for the first few months continually corrected my pronunciations of just about every word out of my mouth. Within a few months I was fitting in pretty good and the only give away that I was Canadian, or so I was told, is that I used the phrase ‘out and about’. I embraced all things Texan and even though I have been back on Canadian soil for a few years I left a big part of my heart there in that fabulous state.
But what about people that settle into strange lands and languages not even remotely related to their natural backgrounds? I guess you can do it kicking and screaming or you take hold and launch yourself forward to enjoy, embrace, laugh, screw up, and then blog about the whole thing, taking all your readers into the adventure with you.
As you know this is day three of my handing out awards to fifteen bloggers. There are three awards, The Stylish Blogger Award, The Irresistibly Sweet Blogger Award and the Versatile Blogger.
The previous two winners were:
Colleen Brown at bikecolleenbrown.wordpress.com
Even though today’s blogger has awards and FP falling out of her pores I absolutely have to recognize her great work.
She is Emily Cannell at amblerangel.Wordpress.com
My twist on giving out the awards (in addition to one day at a time) is that I will list seven things about her without trying to make stuff up!
1) She and her family really are in Japan. Reasons unknown but a good thing for all of us.
2) I first found her when the earthquakes hit and her ‘Hey from Japan – Notes on Moving’ became ‘Hey from Japan – We are being shaken and stirred’. Which gave all of us a rare inside look at what was happening.
3) She has a section on her site called ‘Culture Lessons Learned the Hard Way’ that can’t be missed
4) Her site has had 50.222+ hits
5) She Hurdles down rivers
6) She has embraced different art forms and is not shy about showing her own results
7) Her family is depicted as The Clampitts.
Above all she is brave, (I probably would have left if not at the first shake then at the Nuclear problems that ensued after), she is eternally funny and the girl has heart!
Congratulations Emily! I am happy to follow you anywhere…at a safe distance of course!